Monday, August 6, 2012

What I'm Seeing: August

August is normally the stepchild of the summer movie season. Frankly, most of the best movies have been released before now. Normally, it is one of the months I dread as a moviegoer (but nothing is worse than January!). Yet, here I am, excited about a handful of movies coming out in the next few weeks. Expect reviews of the following:

The Bourne Legacy: Jeremey Renner takes over the Bourne franchise from Matt Damon (the series that turned him into an action hero). Renner doesn't play Jason Bourne but a stronger, faster, and even deadlier operative, Aaron Cross. Along for the ride are Edward Norton and Rachel Weisz. I'm really looking forward to this one! (August 10)

The Campaign: Zach Galifianakis versus Will Ferrell. Seriously??? And, they are running for Congress? Really??? This has to be funny. It just has to be! (August 10).

Hope Springs: This one just looks cute. Meryl Streep and Tommy Lee Jones go to Steve Carell for marital advice. The trailer sold me. I hope it doesn't disappoint. (August 8)

Sparkle: This remake marks Whitney Houston's swan song and American Idol winner Jordin Sparks acting debut. I grew up with the soundtrack so I'll go for that alone and to bid a fond farewell to Whitney. (August 17)

Lawless: Not a huge Shia LeBeouf fan but my British crush Tom Hardy is in this one and his beautiful face isn't obscured behind a mask for the entire film (Dark Knight Rises). Anyway, this will be a welcome dose of drama to send my summer of popcorn flicks. (August 29)

No comments: