Tuesday, September 21, 2010

The Event

The Event (NBC)
Monday 9:00 PM

What it’s about: While investigating the mysterious disappearance of his fiancée, a young man uncovers … wait for it … the biggest cover-up in U.S. history and it reaches all the way up to the highest levels!
What I thought about it: As I watched this premiere, I thought of 24 and Lost. They started the show by displaying the time in a digital clock fashion, which immediately put me in the 24 frame of mind. It also tried to deliver on the action (of course, it wasn’t nearly the adrenaline rush that was 24). However, I feel like The Event will unfold a lot like Lost with mysteries and more mysteries inside of mysteries.
Having said that, I couldn’t really get into this premiere. The pacing was uneven and the time jumping back and forth was just too distracting. I do believe Jason Ritter is a good choice for the lead. He’s a real guy and not some ruggedly heroic-looking superhero. I bought his desperation as he frantically searched for his girlfriend (I did not buy him getting a gun on an airplane though). Blair Underwood was very presidential as Elias Martinez, the Afro-Cuban president.
While we still aren’t sure what The Event was and who the Detainees are, the big event in the premiere of The Event, was the disappearance of a plane mid-air just before it collided into the hotel where the president was staying. It was enough of an event to make me watch again. I am willing to give it a few more weeks to ‘gel’. With a large and intricate conspiracy, like the one being hinted at, I think it will take a few more weeks to get all the major players involved. So, here’s hoping it gets better and fast.

No comments: