Wednesday, December 8, 2010

The Sing-Off

I’ve been a bad, bad blogger! I haven’t updated this site since Thanksgiving weekend! I promise faithful readers that I will be a better blogger. Hopefully, it’s not too late to move from Santa’s naughty list to the nice one!

Anyway, I am writing quickly because I am about to watch the second installment of a show I fell in love with this time last year, The Sing-Off. A cappella music groups from around the country compete for a cash prize and a recording contract.

The ten acts cover all of the bases starting with a high school group and several singing collegiate groups. One act features a father-daughter team. There’s also a gospel group and even an old school doo-wop group with over 30 years of performing behind them.

The format is pretty standard. We get a little back story about each group, they perform and then get feedback from a trio of judges. Ben Folds of the Ben Folds Five is the main judge, followed by Nicole Scherzinger of The Pussy Cat Dolls and Shawn Stockman of Boys to Men. Unlike other shows, these judges offer both effusive praise and constructive criticism.

What I love about this show is that these are people who genuinely love to sing. Their passion and their energy make them fun to watch. And as television grinds to a halt around the holidays, it’s good to have something fun to watch!

Monday night’s show took the 10 groups down to eight. Tonight, we’ll lose two more groups. If you can’t catch it tonight, it will air Monday and Wednesday nights next week as well.

No comments: