Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Weekly TV Recap

Look for the TV Recap every Tuesday night!


The new Fall Season is underway and I have a few comments on some of the new shows as well as some of my recurring favorites.

New Shows
666 Park Avenue: (Sundays, 10:00 p.m. – ABC) I was looking forward to this show and after watching the premiere, I will be watching it again. Lost’s Terry O’Quinn and Vanessa L. Williams, most recently of Desperate Housewives fame, star as Gavin and Olivia Doran, the owners of the posh New York apartment building where they can give you anything you want, for a price. Rachael Taylor (Charlie’s Angels and Grey’s Anatomy) and Dave Annable (Brothers and Sisters) are the new apartment managers who will be in over their heads with the Dorans in no time. In this first episode we were introduced to several tenants and the price they’ve paid to get what they wanted (or what they thought they wanted). I like dark and this show looks like it could be dark and mysterious. It’s no American Horror Story but it will do for a Sunday night.

The New Normal: (Tuesday, 9:30 p.m. – NBC) This show is funny. Sometimes touching, other times provocative but always funny and that is what a comedy is supposed to be … funny! It’s also unexpectedly real and grounded. Justin Bartha and Andrew Rannells star as David Murray and Bryan Collins a gay couple expecting their first child with their surrogate Goldie (Georgia King). Throw in Georgia’s mom Jane (Ellen Barkin) as the Archie Bunker for the 21st Century and The Real Housewives of Atlanta’s Nene Leakes as Bryan’s assistant and this show had me laughing out loud.
Other people must like The New Normal too because NBC just ordered a full season (from six episodes).

Ben and Kate: (Tuesday, 8:30 p.m. – FOX) I really like Fox on Tuesday night. Raising Hope and The New Girl are two of my favorite sitcoms. Although not quite as strong as those two, Ben and Kate was both sweet and funny. I’m hoping for more funny than sweet in coming weeks.

The Mindy Project: (Tuesday, 9:30 p.m. – FOX) Definitely the weak link in an otherwise strong night. I watched the first episode and just couldn’t get into it. Mindy is a doctor and hopeless romantic. Mindy Kaling was good as part of the ensemble on The Office but I’m just not feeling her here. I don’t think this will be a successful project.

Returning Favorites
Once Upon a Time: (Sunday, 8:00 p.m. – ABC) I have been counting down the days until September 30. I didn’t know what to expect when magic came to Storybrooke and all of our favorite characters finally remembered who they really were. I didn’t expect the direction the story would take but now I’m counting down the days until next Sunday!

Glee: (Thursday, 9:00 p.m. – FOX) I have to say I have not been that thrilled about this new season – especially since my least favorite Glee Project finalist, Alex Newell, from Season 1 is now a series regular. True he can sing but he couldn’t act his way out of a termite-filled paper bag. His presence has truly put a damper on this show for me. I do like the fact that they are following Rachel and Kurt’s exploits in New York. Kate Hudson has been really good as Rachel’s nemesis, dance instructor, Cassandra July. Sarah Jessica Parker however, was, underwhelming in her guest-role as Kurt’s boss at Vogue.com. I’m looking forward to seeing more of the new kids (except Unique) and more of what has happened to our original Gleeks now that they have graduated. However, Glee isn’t what it once was for me.

No comments: