Monday, June 20, 2011

The Glee Project: Stand Up, Stand Out!

Last night’s episode of The Glee Project has me rethinking some of my early favorites and it actually solidified my dislike for Alex.

The topic was theatricality and Idina Menzel was the guest judge, as she was the guest star on the Theatricality episode (also known as the Gaga episode). The kids were told to be theatrical. They performed Bad Romance for Idina and she had to pick the stand-out who would later be featured in the music video. To my horror, she picked Alex.

He works every nerve I have with his completely over-the-top divatude. He’s just too much. He’s too much. He starred in the video as a gay youth (as if he could play anything else) who was being bullied and who ushers in a dream sequence where everyone channelled their inner rock star (see below) and singing Twisted Sister’s We’re Not Gonna Take It.

Lindsey, who I really liked last week, revealed that she’s actually a bit of a bitch and that was not a good look for her. Last week, I forgot to mention how much I liked McKynleigh, the black country singer. This week I realized why it was so easy to overlook her. She’s forgettable. She’s cute as a button and a great singer but she barely registers as much as a blip on the personality meter. I can say the same for my Irish crush, Damian; adorable but forgettable. Both of them need to step it up big time in order to give Ryan a reason to want to write a character based on them.

It wasn’t a surprise that McKynleigh made the bottom three. Last week’s challenge winner Matheus was there too, as was not-a-woman-not-a-girl Ellis. McKynleigh sang Janis Joplin’s Piece of My Heart and still lacked a personality! Matheus tried his best with Gives You Hell (All-American Rejects). Ellis butchered Mack the Knife. Ellis didn’t make the call back but it was more because of her Negative Nellie attitude than her terrible rendition of a classic (despite her insistence that she’s a jazz singer!).

Unless she finds a personality, McKynleigh is next.

No comments: