Monday, June 13, 2011

The Voice

I'm back and so is my
obsession with Adam
Levine. :)
I'm back! After a work schedule from hell and a killer tooth ache (I had part one of a root canal this morning), I'm back. Instead of trying to go back and fill in the blanks, I'm going to pick up where I left off.

I have to say that I have thoroughly enjoyed watching The Voice. And now that we’ve entered the competition phase, I’m enjoying it even more. Last week, we started with performances from Team Christina and Team Blake. Even though, as the teams compete, two people from each team will move on, if I were judging team performances as a whole, I have to say, I have to give the edge to Team Christina. Her girls just seemed more polished.

Blake had two terrified teammates. Despite working with her, Xenia Martinez was scared sh*tless not to mention stiff as a cadaver throughout her performance of Jessie J’s Price Tag. Her attempts at movement were hard to watch (the pointing in particular was hideous). Dia Franco had a piano to help hide her fear while performing a ballad version of Kanye West’s Heartless. I could hear the fear in her voice and it was distracting.

Meanwhile on Team Xtina, 16-year old Raquel Castro kicked off the evening with her version of Ke$ha’s Blow. She had the dancers and the polish of a true professional. Beverly McClellan with her bald head and kilt brought the power to Melissa Etheridge’s I’m the Only One. Lily Elise had a little less luck with her team of male back-up dancers for her performance of Fergie’s Big Girls Don’t Cry. The whole thing just looked awkward. Frenchie Davis closed the show in a big way with David Guleta’s When Love Takes Over.

It was the boys on Team Blake that delivered for me. Rocker/Father of 7, Jared Blake covered Kings of Leon’s Use Somebody. Patrick Thomas kept it country with a solid performance of I Hope You Dance (a song I hope I never hear again every time I hear it).

The other thing I like about The Voice is the fact that the judges are performers. We had all four judges covering a mash-up of Queen’s Bohemian Rhapsody/We Will Rock You/We Are the Champions. Christina also covered her version of Lady Marmalade with her team while Blake and his team covered Maroon Five’s This Love.

You won’t see Simon singing on The X-Factor.

No comments: