Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Summer Sizzles or Fizzles?

Entertainment Weekly just put up a list of 14 summer movies they can’t wait to see. Well, I’ve taken that list and whittled it down to six. Yes, less than half of EW’s 14. I think it’s safe to say that I’m not impressed with this summer’s offerings.

Inception (July 16): With Christopher Nolan (The Dark Knight) directing and some of the visuals I've seen in the trailer, I have to say, I’m intrigued. However, I wanted to slap the taste out of Leonardo DiCaprio’s mouth for making me sit through the dreck that was Shutter Island. Thomas has seen it and he's described it as “confusing but really good,” and that sort of restored my faith in this ‘thriller’ – if it doesn’t deliver, I might have to slap Thomas (just joking ... not really).

Salt (July 23): Angelina Jolie as a spy who is accused of working for the Russians just looks good. It looks like it’s going to be a smart action-thriller and I’m all about smart action thrillers.

Dinner for Shmucks (July 23) : I’m also about silly comedies that make me laugh out loud. Steve Carell, Paul Rudd, and Zach Galifianakis could be on to something here. Of course, with a cast like that I expect to laugh loud and often anything else would be a disappointment.

The Other Guys (August 6): Will Ferrell and Mark Wahlberg play the second-string cop couple to a pair of hot shots played by Samuel L. Jackson and Dewayne "The Rock" Johnson.

Scott Pilgrim vs. The World (August 13): As an Arrested Development fan, Michael Cera will always have a place in my heart. Watching him battle his new girlfriend’s seven evil exes should be fun (at least I hope).

The Expendables (August 13): Stallone, Schwarzenegger, Willis, Li, a dream team of action stars get together for what you know has to be ‘one last score’ as a team of mercenaries out to overthrow a Latin American government … not just a bad guy but an entire government!

Not on my list...

Eat, Pray Love ... Wasn't interested in reading the book, not interested in seeing the movie.

The Switch ... A rom-com with another Arrested Development alum, Jason Bateman, so I should give it some love, right? Nope, it's also stars Jennifer Aniston and I'm still mad at her for making me sit through The Bounty Hunter.

Piranha 3-D: Really?

Going the Distance: A rom-com with drew Barrymore and her real-life boyfriend Justin "Kiss of Death" Long (who kills just about every movie he's in).

No comments: