Sunday, July 18, 2010

Summer TV and Me

What I love about summer is that networks have finally started offering new shows instead of forcing us to sit through four months of reruns. The problem is that many of these shows just aren’t good.

Rookie Blue (ABC): Tried to sit through the first episode and barely made it. Cliched characters and tired plots bored me to death. And not a sexy one in the group. If you plan to bore me to tears, at least give me a little eye candy!

The Gates (ABC): I get it. Vampires and werewolves are HOT right now. Between the Twilight movies, HBO’s True Blood and The Vampire Diaries (CW), it seems that a lot more than freaks are coming out at night. So naturally, ABC wants to add to the mix with The Gates about a hapless couple who move into a quaint upper class neighborhood that is overrun with … wait for it … vampires and werewolves! Maybe it’s me, but the whole blood-sucking craze has passed me by and this is a passable show as well. I won’t be watching again.

Scoundrels (ABC): Yes, I’m still upset over the demise of Dirty Sexy Money but I thought this could be a fun entry into the campy, soapish tradition. I’ve actually watched it more than once. But what does it say when I’ve realized that I miss an episode and it’s no big deal. Right now, the show is pretty uneven and I’m hoping that it smooths out soon or this show with its family of grafters might end up canceled.

Yet, it’s not all bad. There are a few shows that I kinda, sorta like.

Memphis Beat (TNT): I’ve seen two episodes of Memphis Beat and there just might be life for Jason Lee after My Name Is Earl. Lee is Memphis likable detective Dwight Hendricks and plays nicely off of his boss played by Alfre Woodward. The show works hard on creating a quirky and affable Southern charm (even though it’s shot in New Orleans and not Memphis).

Lie to Me (FOX): I tune in once a week to see Cal Lightman (Tim Roth) and his band of human lie detectors get to the why behind the lie. Is it the ultimate in high drama? Goodness sake, no, but it does make for an entertaining hour of television.

The Good Guys (FOX): Bradley Whitford makes this show as the smarmy 70’s era throwback detective complete with vintage car and vintage mustache. Colin Hanks (Tom’s son) plays the straight man, albeit a bit too straight for my taste. However, The Good Guys is good for a good time.

Unbelievably, I’ve never gotten into a lot of good cable shows like Burn Notice or The Closer. Although I'm counting down the days to the fourth season of Mad Men!

So what are you watching and what would you recommend?

No comments: